Choosing the right care

If you feel unwell, you can seek care and advice in the following ways:

Self-care: A range of common illnesses and injuries can be treated at home by combining a well-stocked medicine cabinet with plenty of rest. This is the best choice for very minor illnesses and injuries. Consult the NHS Choices website for further information.

NHS 111 (or textphone 18001 111): NHS 111 is a new service that provides confidential health advice and information by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. You can call 111 when you need urgent medical help but it is not a 999 emergency. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Pharmacist: Your local pharmacist can give you advice on illnesses and the medicines you need to treat them. Visit a pharmacist when you are suffering from a common health problem which does not require being seen by a nurse or doctor. If you do not usually pay for prescriptions, you can be seen on the Minor Ailment Scheme for a wide range of minor illnesses.

GP: At the surgery, we provide a range of services by appointment, including medical advice, examinations and prescriptions. We also provide an out-of-hours (OOH) service which you can contact by telephoning the surgery and following the recorded instructions or by calling 111.

NHS walk-in centre, urgent care centre or minor injuries unit: You do not need an appointment and you will be seen by an experienced nurse or GP. These services give healthcare advice and most are open from early morning until late at night. Visit one of these centres if you need medical treatment or advice which does not need a visit to A&E.

Your local NHS walk-in centre is:
Story Street Walk-in Centre
Wilberforce Health Centre
6-10 Story Street

Tel: 01482 335180

Opening Times: Monday-Sunday 8am-8pm (including Bank Holidays)

Your local Minor Injuries unit is:
Beverley Community Hospital
Swinemoor Lane
HU17 0FA

Tel: 01482 886600

Opening Times: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, weekends 9am-6pm